More than a month after a car crash sent him to the hospital with spinal fractures, Kevin Hart is breaking his silence.
In a statement to E! News via his attorney, Kevin Hart, currently home from the hospital but still in recovery, said he has “nothing but love” for Jared Black, the man who was behind the wheel when the comedian’s 1970 Plymouth Barracuda rolled into a ditch.
“I have nothing but love for Jared and wish him and Rebecca a speedy recovery,” Hart’s Thursday, October 10 statement read, also making mention of Black’s fiancé, Rebecca Broxterman, who was also a passenger in the vehicle.
As none of the passengers in the vehicle were wearing seatbelts at the time of the crash, both Hart and Black suffered back injuries when the vehicle veered off the road, crashed through a fence, and rolled down an embankment. Both Black and Broxterman were trapped in the car and had to be removed by responders.
TMZ reports that the California Highway Patrol has completed its crash report and determined that the accident was caused by the driver operating the vehicle in a reckless fashion.
Hart’s friend Jared Black was driving the comedian’s 1970 Plymouth Barracuda and reportedly “gunned the engine and lost control,” which caused the car to spin and crash through an embankment. The Daily Mail also claims that Black was using a handsfree device for his phone.
Now back home and continuing physical rehab, Hart has officially returned to work. Earlier this week, sources told E! News that the actor’s doctor approved the return and that the comedian was in “good spirits” and was “mobile” and “getting around on his own” as he began work on a marketing campaign for the upcoming Jumanji film. Hart worked on the campaign alongside co-stars Dwayne Johnson, Danny DeVito and Danny Glover, who were all reportedly “happy to see him.”
Meanwhile, the car crash has also impacted Hart’s legal troubles. Earlier this month, Hart filed documents requesting a postponement of his upcoming trial in his court battle with former business partners Stand Up Digital, claiming that he would “not be ambulatory for at least another two months.”