Breaking News

Director John Singleton To Be Taken Off Life Support, Family Says

John Singleton

John Singleton, the Oscar-nominated writer and director of Boyz N the Hood, will be taken off life support Monday, 13 days after suffering a major stroke while at Cedars-Sinai hospital in Los Angeles. He had been in the ICU ever since.

“It is with heavy hearts we announce that our beloved son, father and friend, John Daniel Singleton will be taken off of life support today,” a spokesperson for the family said in a statement to Deadline. “This was an agonizing decision, one that our family made, over a number of days, with the careful counsel of John’s doctors.”

Singleton, 51, had struggled with hypertension, the spokesman said, and that “his family wants to share the message with all to please recognize the symptoms by going to Heart.org.”

“We are grateful to his fans, friends and colleagues for the outpour of love and prayers during this incredibly difficult time,” the spokesperson said. “We want to thank all the doctors at Cedars Sinai for the impeccable care he received.”

Singleton’s debut film, Boyz N the Hood, remains one of the definitive movies of the 1990s. It led to Singleton’s nomination for two Oscars – Best Director and Best Original Screenplay – becoming the youngest filmmaker and first African American to be nominated in those categories. The film is now in the Library of Congress.

His other film credits include Rosewood, Shaft, 2 Fast 2 Furious and Four Brothers. In TV, Singleton co-created, executive and directed the FX drama series Snowfall and also directed The People vs. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story, as well as episodes of Empire and Billions.

John Daniel Singleton will be survived by his extraordinary mother, Sheila Ward, his father, Danny Singleton and his children Justice, Maasai, Hadar, Cleopatra, Selenesol, Isis, and Seven.

Details about memorial services will be provided at a later date.