With the coronavirus outbreak prompting financial concerns and second thoughts about the germs associated with physical money, what can people do to protect themselves? More and more people are turning to online shopping or alternative ways to send money. The Daily Buzz spoke with long-time financial advisor and money expert Winnie Sun about consumer safety in a global pandemic, and beyond.
In these times of uncertainty, scammers will try to take advantage of vulnerabilities, but there a steps you can take to protect yourself as we all face the new norm, social distancing. Winnie Sun suggests using a digital wallet, such as PayPal. It provides a secure, easy way to send/receive money and shop online without handling cash or sharing your financial information. It’s free to sign up and is backed by purchase protection, 24/7 fraud detection monitoring and secure encryption technology.
As you secure you money also take precautionary measures to protect yourself from scams:
• Look out for fake communications that convey a sense of urgency or ask you for your personal information.
• Call the company’s customer service line directly to discuss any notifications on your account.
• Don’t open unknown attachments or click links that take you to a fake website.
• You can check for false links by hovering your mouse over the URL to ensure it will take you to the company’s legitimate website before you click.
• Use two-factor authentication, and avoid using the same password for all of your online accounts.
As the COVID-19 pandemic has escalated, people around the globe are stepping up to help in whatever way they can. If you’re looking for ways to support relief efforts, PayPal has launched a fundraising campaign featuring trusted organizations educating the public and assisting with recovery. You can donate directly using the PayPal app, and help make an even greater impact. Look for fundraisers by people and organizations you trust to ensure your money goes to honest parties.
Find more information and general safety tips, at: newsroom.paypal-corp.com