For much of his 40-year career with NBC Sports, Bob Costas was one of the network’s most familiar voices.
But that relationship now has come to an end as the veteran sportscaster has reached a settlement with the network to terminate his contract that ran through 2021.
“It’s all settled quietly and happily for all concerned,” Costas said in an interview Tuesday with the New York Post.
Costas, 66, will continue on the MLB Network, where he is set to be a big part of the Baseball Hall of Fame inductee announcement in the next week. He also will call about 20 games on play-by-play for MLBN. Plus, he is exploring doing a sports/news interview-style show.
Costas’ exact payout is unknown. When asked for specifics, Costas said the final finances of the settlement were reconciled “more than fairly.” The agreement was made late last year, but NBC and Costas decided to keep the parting quiet. An NBC spokesman confirmed Costas is no longer with the network, but declined to go into details.
A big part of the departure was reportedly Costa’s growing disinterest in NFL football. The sportscaster has always been most passionate about baseball, and while NFL coverage has become one of the most profitable sports for NBC, Costas’ heart has not been in it. Many fans suspected he was on his way out in February when he was not a part of NBC’s Super Bowl coverage at all.